inside immigration information about marriage green cards and work visas in America

Danielle Nelisse, Immigration Attorney +++++++++ PH: (619) 235-8811 FX: (619) 235-8822

‹‹ Back to Home Page


danielle nelisse

This blog is published by Danielle Nelisse, Immigration Attorney and this is where she shares American Immigration information that only insiders know.

After working so long in the immigration field, she has learned many tips and pieces of information that she is willing to share with others.

Immigration Attorney Danielle Nelisse has successfully prepared hundreds of marriage green card (including same sex) and work visa cases out of her San Diego office for a wide range of individuals from many countries.

A longstanding member of the respected professional organization called AILA, she understands the immigration processes clients go through and works hard to help them get through it.

Here is a listing of some of the inside immigration information she has to offer:

If you have been researching a particular topic or question for a long time, or if you are just starting out learning about how to IMMIGRATE TO AMERICA, we hope our blog articles are helpful.

We wish the best of luck to everyone!

Questions about hiring an Immigration Attorney?

Call or Email Immigration Attorney Danielle Nelisse:

PHONE: (619) 235-8811

FAX: (619) 235-8822


NOTE:  Images on this blog are not intended as infringement and are being used under the Fair Use clause of U.S. copyright laws, Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107.

17 comments on “Danielle Nelisse, Immigration Attorney +++++++++ PH: (619) 235-8811 FX: (619) 235-8822

  1. Lucila
    June 17, 2013

    Hi Danielle,
    My question is that I have been pulled over twice for driving with out a licence an I still haven’t been able to pay off the second one but I do plan on paying it. Will that effect me when my husband trys to help me with my green card?

  2. Maria
    April 12, 2013

    Hi. My name is maria lopez and I have my work permit. I got my work permit bc of the law called dream act. I want to join the airforce but I can’t bc I don’t have my recidence, I was wondering if there’s any law thats coming up that allows students that have graduate from HSC and have their work permit join the military??

  3. ashley
    February 18, 2013

    Hi Danielle,
    My question is I’m a Canadian citizen jus married my American fiancee. Now I need to know how I can have me and kids live. with him in the US.

  4. raul
    December 19, 2012

    hi danielle, i am currently a green card holder since october 2010 and i went to philippines last march of 2012 till august of 2012 and im planning to go back again in philippine for vacation this coming febuary 2013 and stay there for 4-5 months i just thinking if there will a problem coming bak to us if i will back go to philippines again since i am a green card hilder only?and how long can i stay in the philippines i theres a posible to philippines

    • immigrationworkvisa
      January 4, 2013

      Dear Raul:

      I think you know the answer to this question, or you wouldn’t be asking it. Please file an I-131 Re-Entry Permit application and provide your I-131 fingerprints before you leave again if you want to have an easier time when getting questioned about your intent to be a USA permanent resident by the airport officers upon your re-entry to the USA.

      It sounds like you are planning to be outside the USA too much (in the minds of the airport officers) to legitimately claim that you want to keep your green card. The I-131 Re-Entry Permit is an official declaration that you plan to keep your green card and live in the USA permanently. Don’t forget that the airport officers do not get to take off abroad for 4-5 months at a time, and so they don’t think you should either.

      It used to be that green card holders could remain outside of the USA for up to 1 year. Then, the airport officers started using the 6 month mark. Now, they have been given ultimate authority (and the ability to track your trips on the computer) and they look at your entire travel history. Therefore, there is no black and white rule concerning the amount of time a green card holder can stay outside of the USA – it is all up to that one officer you talk to when you come back through the airport.

      Basically, if you are out of the USA for more than 90 days per year (total) it would be good to file an I-131 Re-Entry Permit. I hope this helps explain this unclear regulation.

      Kind regards,
      Danielle Nelisse

  5. anusha
    December 5, 2012

    hy i am newly husband has got usa citizenship..n i am on process..but i suffered from tuberculosis..i am worried if it will be a problem for me…what should i do?

    • immigrationworkvisa
      January 4, 2013

      Dear Anusha:

      I think you are asking me if a person with TB can get a marriage green card through their USA citizen husband. The answer is “probably yes.” You may need to consult an immigration attorney about the I-693 medical exam form and how to best approach this situation to make sure your green card is granted.

      Kind regards, Danielle Nelisse

  6. Erika
    June 14, 2012

    Hi Danielle, I am a current student in the USA. I graduate next year and after that I will like to go to college. I was brought here whenI was 6 years old by my parents and neither one of the
    Have a green card or anything. I want to know if there is any possible way out there for me to get a green card or something that allows me to be in the USA legally so that I can work and go to school ! Please write back as soon as possible thanks !

  7. J Davies
    May 24, 2012

    Hi Danielle,
    I’ve heard rumors that once my spouse visa is approved, i’m not allowed to leave the US for two years. Is this true?

    • immigrationworkvisa
      June 1, 2012

      Dear J. Davies:

      Once your spouse visa (marriage green card) is approved you are supposed to live permanently in the USA the majority of the time, just like every other green card holder. However, you are allowed to leave for a brief vacations. After you get your USA citizenship, you are allowed to leave as much as you like.

      Regards, Danielle Nelisse

  8. Dahlia
    May 3, 2012

    hi danielle, I want to keep my last name after i get married as its the only thing i have left from my father….do i have to change my last name to my husbands’ after we get married? will that affect my chances of getting approved for a green card?

    • immigrationworkvisa
      May 3, 2012

      Dear Dahlia:

      You are allowed to keep your last name after you get married, and it should not affect your chances of getting approved for a marriage green card. Many American women do not change their last names when they get married.

      Kind regards, Danielle Nelisse

  9. quynhnguyen
    April 9, 2012

    hi, danielle
    i have a question that i changed my last name to my husband’s family name from Nguyen To Dong in my marriage certificate,so when i apply to INS i have to change my last name by his last name or just keep my original last name.please answer ASAP you can since i really confuse.
    thanks for your help

Comments Are Welcome

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: